Protocol for Judges
- Judges are held at the highest standards when voting.
- There is a zero-tolerance policy for sexual harassment and discrimination among our judges. Should it come to our attention that a judge violates these expectations of conduct, he or she will be removed from the committee immediately.
- Judges are not eligible to vote in any category in which they are nominated.
- Judges are only eligible to vote in the categories or awards their committee is assigned.
- Judges are only eligible to vote for bars they have visited. If a judge has not been to 5 of the bars, tasted products etc, a judge is required to abstain from voting in that category.
- Any harassing, campaigning, or other activities meant to sway a judge’s opinion and vote may be considered soliciting, and must be reported to Charlotte Voisey, Chairman, Eileen Wayner, Spirited Awards Director.
- All nominees in a category will have the option to send product or writing samples to their respective committees between Monday April 22nd, 2019 and Monday, May 13th, 2019.
- Judges are encouraged to conduct outside research, if they deem it necessary.
- Judges are encouraged to carefully read the writing samples and menu submissions for categories that apply. These files will be made available through the voting program.
- Judges should not discuss votes, particularly any tiebreakers for the winner (if necessary), with anyone.
- Judges should refrain from discussing nominees and potential winners on social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.) in the context of the Spirited Awards®, even if it is in jest.
- Judges are urged to consider the character of the nominees when voting (e.g. adherence to no-tolerance on sexual harassment, promotes diversity, etc.)
- The Regional Top 10 Nominees will be announced via Tales of the Cocktail’s newsletter and on social media channels on Thursday, May 30th, 2019.
- The Top 10 nominees per category will be announced via Tales of the Cocktail's newsletter and on social media channels on Wednesday, June 12th, 2019.
- The Top 4 Finalists will be announced via Tales of the Cocktail's newsletter and on social media channels on Monday, June 24th, 2019.
- Judges will not be privy to the final list of winning recipients.
- All winners will be announced at the 13th Annual Spirited Awards® on Saturday, July 20th, 2019 in New Orleans.