Agave Sunrise Cocktail Competition
Few can agree where the Tequila Sunrise came from. Some say Tijuana. Others claim Arizona. Even more contend it was Northern California. No matter what origin story you believe, the Tequila Sunrise will never be the same after the Tales of the Cocktail® on Tour 2016 Official Cocktail Competition. We’re challenging Mexico’s finest bartenders to reimagine what this classic drink can be for a chance to win a trip to Tales of the Cocktail® in New Orleans. Recipe submissions must stay true to the original (agave spirit, fruit-based syrup, fruit-based liqueur, carbonated beverage) but after that it's up to them to bring a new flavor to an old favorite. The winner will be featured during Agave Happy Hour, a showcase of Mexico's best Agave spirits during Tales of the Cocktail® on Tour 2016 in Mexico City.
This version of the Tequila Sunrise is from the casino/racetrack at Aguas Calientes in Tijuana, was tequila, grenadine, crème de cassis and soda.
Follow these guidelines when concocting your submission for the Tales of the Cocktail® on Tour 2016 Agave Sunrise Cocktail Competition
- Select your base agave spirit from our list of participating partner spirits (tequila or mezcal, or can be a combination of both)
- Grenadine or another fruit-based syrup
- Crème de cassis or another fruit-based liqueur
- Soda water or other carbonated beverage
- Bitters (optional)
Tequila and Mezcal aficionado, importer, writer, educator, traveler, and researcher
Author and Cocktail Historian
Founder, Experience Tequila / Experience Mezcal
Fee Brothers Bitters
Los Siete Misterios
Olmeca Altos Tequila
Mezcal Viejo Indecente
Rules for the 2016 Tales on Tour Cocktail Competition
- Competition is open to any bartender currently working in the bar, restaurant or spirits industry in Central or North America.
- Each participant shall use the official entry form online at TalesoftheCocktail.com.
- Recipe submissions shall be original creations.
- Recipes shall be expressed in ounces, drops, or dashes and scaled for a single serving.
- Your cocktail must utilize at least one of the participating products.
- You can use more than one spirit in your drink.
- Recipe must include a detailed description of the garnish if there is one.
- Recipe must be submitted with a photo of your cocktail.
- All ingredients utilized should be expected to be available to most bars or easily acquired/made.
- All ingredients should be available year-round, so nothing too seasonal. And all ingredients should be obtainable — or should be able to be made from scratch — without undue difficulty or expense anywhere within Mexico.
- Cocktails made with inappropriate ingredients will be disqualified with determination of what constitutes an inappropriate ingredient up to the discretion of the staff of Tales of the Cocktail® and the judging committee.
- Cocktails will be judged on Originality, Use of product, Taste, and Presentation.
- You do not need to be present to compete but you do need to be present to serve your cocktail on Monday, April 11th, 2016 in Mexico City at Tales on Tour.
The winning recipe will receive the following:
- First prize-winner will receive a trip to Tales of the Cocktail® New Orleans. Prize package will include round trip airfare and hotel accommodations.
- Official Cocktail will be served in our Agave Happy Hour at Tales on Tour 2016.
- The Winning recipe will be featured with photography in the official Tales on Tour program.
- Winning recipe will be featured in on TalesoftheCocktail.com and featured in the Tales of the Cocktail® newsletter which reaches over 33,000 readers.
Timeline for the Tales on Tour Competition 2016
March 15, 2016: Winner and top three announced